PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wind Power Could Make Norway "Europe's Battery"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DominicJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With a HVDC transmission system covering Europe you would get 99.99% certainty of wind somewhere.

Would you stake your life on that?
That at all times there would be enough wind throughout Europe for all of Europe?
I just refuse to accept that there wont one day be a day when most of Europe is calm.

If we have lots of hydro that can be turned on/off, thats not a problem.
If we dont, thats a very big problem.

Quote:
Haga said offshore wind parks -- which would stop on calm days -- could be supplemented by hydro-power reservoirs which can be turned on and off to turn them into a battery storing power. Norway has about half Europe's reservoir capacity.

Pretty much what I've been saying

Certainly, if I was God Emperor of Norway, I'd be doing this.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DominicJ wrote:
Quote:
With a HVDC transmission system covering Europe you would get 99.99% certainty of wind somewhere.

Won't have to. The idea is that we won't be entirely dependant on wind, Dominic. There will be other methods of renewable generation as well and they will all be dispersed.
fifthcolumn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal wrote:
DominicJ wrote:
Quote:

Won't have to. The idea is that we won't be entirely dependant on wind, Dominic. There will be other methods of renewable generation as well and they will all be dispersed.

He's right Dom,

The guy with the funny name that is renewable Candy's mate who built the model is not relying only on wind. It's CSP thermal (which has been proven to work and is cheap) combined with wind combined with hydro in norway, all linked together. I expect that some of it is battery backup in residences also.

Blocks of council flats could have battery backup for example.
goslow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is where yer electric cars come in too, balancing the grid

but to make it all work I think we also have to cut our electricity consumption big time
fifthcolumn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goslow wrote:
this is where yer electric cars come in too, balancing the grid

but to make it all work I think we also have to cut our electricity consumption big time

The good thing is that we don't need to do it all at once.
If the goal is to match declining petrol consumption (75% of oil consumption in the UK goes to transport) and it's declining at say 4%, then we only need to cover equivalent of 1% of oil consumption because electric vehicles are 4X as efficient.

Do you think it's likely that we can cut back electricity consumption equivalent to 1% of oil consumption each year?

In addition, it's not even necessary to do that, because a large chunk of the dispossessed car drivers will just go to public transport instead.

I did, and I *LOVE* my car.

In fact my most likely route is this: I will take public transport as much as I can and as soon as there is a cheap enough electric vehicle availble I will buy it.

In fact I think I might even buy an expensive one like the Tesla S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wind Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: