PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

‘Dismay’ at new windfarm plans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: ?Dismay? at new windfarm plans Reply with quote

Quote:
Cumberland News - 30/05/08

Objectors to a windfarm planned for Cumwhinton will make their views known at the village hall today.

Nearby residents are to form an action group to fight plans for the turbines between Newlands and Cringles, near Junction 42 of the M6.

Objector Allison Stamper, who lives in Cringles, said: ?This is the wrong site for such massive things, far too close to the village itself, 500m from a stables and just a few miles from a tourist city.

?Carlisle is being promoted as historic; you?ve got lovely tourist boards as you come in and then you?ll look up and see these eyesores. It infringes on the quality of life everyone is entitled to.

?There is the worry of the strobe effect ? when the sun gets behind them and causes shadows and flickers, it is thought it could cause all sorts of problems for people like epilepsy or migraines. It?s not proved but we don?t want to take that risk.?

Article continues ...

Strobe effect? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I don't think so love. Rolling Eyes
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Objector Allison Stamper, who lives in Cringles, said: ?This is the wrong site for such massive things, far too close to the village itself, 500m from a stables and just a few miles from a tourist city.

I'm more likely to visit if they put up some wind turbines. Here are some photos of a few turbines I visited a couple of weeks ago:

Full album

biffvernon

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
500m from a stables
Don't frighten the horses.
guinnessman

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just a bunch of old Daily Mail readers who have no idea of the long term importance of the need to expand renewable energy. They are more concerned about the mistaken belief that it will have a knock -on effect on their house prices, due to the 'eyesore' of the turbines

Who agrees with me that wind turbines look rather graceful and elegant compared to some power station pumping out smoke and pollution?
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wind turbine near Newbury was rejected because the owner of a nearby horse racing stable said that it might frighten his horses. The fact that light aircraft take off and land over his stable didn't make any difference to the horses though.
Aurora

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guinnessman wrote:
Probably just a bunch of old Daily Mail readers who have no idea of the long term importance of the need to expand renewable energy. They are more concerned about the mistaken belief that it will have a knock -on effect on their house prices, due to the 'eyesore' of the turbines

Who agrees with me that wind turbines look rather graceful and elegant compared to some power station pumping out smoke and pollution?

I would certainly agree, in fact I think their slender form is a celebration of modern design. Smile
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurora wrote:
guinnessman wrote:

I would certainly agree, in fact I think their slender form is a celebration of modern design. Smile

I'll drink to that! Oh and welcome to the forum Guinnessman!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wind Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: