PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best value for money domestic wind turbine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snow hope

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Best value for money domestic wind turbine Reply with quote

Folks, I need some help. I am trying to find out what is the best value for money domestic wind turbine currently available in the market. Preferable supplied from UK, or Europe at worst. I don't like the idea of shipping it in from China.....

I am thinking around 2 or 3KW type of rating - suitable for a 4 bed detached house. By value for money, I mean pay-back period I suppose.

Thanks..... Smile
biffvernon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best value is out-sourcing. Buy from Ecotricity. The turbines are German and a tad bigger than you have in mind but you share the electricity with others.
goslow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you want to live off-grid, that is...are you really somewhere that is windy enough????
snow hope

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to live off grid. I live at 450ft near the top of some hills, south of Belfast. We get a fair bit of wind here.

I don't want to depend on Govt. or large companies for my electricity. I want to have some power if and when the blackouts start to occur. Electricity prices are just like oil - they are only going one way and fast. We have just been informed that electricity is about to increase 28% this year and we haven't got to the end of the year yet!

I can't believe people are dis-suading me from generating my own renewable energy..... Sad (I do know the arguments for the larger turbines - power is a function of the square of the turbine diameter and cube of the wind speed)

Come on - lets see what is the best on the market at the moment?

I like the Samrey turbines. Proven are very good but way too expensive.
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3531
hardworkinghippy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow,

I've been through all this a million times when I was looking for another wind generator.

How much wind do you get - that's the first thing - to work out if it's really going to be worthwhile.

How much money can you spend?

How much work can you do yourself?

...and so on.

Also how much power do you really need - if you just want lighting/music/internet then a small charger will do the job but get few panels to go with it to keep you lit up and on line in the summer.

Our little Rutlands have been great, but we've no salt spray and maybe we've been lucky.

http://lafermedesourrou.blogspot.com/search?q=rutland

We've just bought a new Chinese 2kw - the mast was included and would have cost 600? (?400ish) anyway. It's not up yet though, so I can't tell you how it's doing. The components have all been checked and they're OK.

I've known people spend ?12,000 on something that keeps breaking down, and I've got a pal who is still trying to get her money back from a "reputable" French company.

Ask around on some of the alternative energy forums about what people are pleased with. Smile
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever turbine you chose, remember that a dump load is required to dispose of surplus power when the batteries are full.

Rather than waste this surplus power, it should if possible be used, perhaps for space heating, this would reduce reduce the consumption of whatever fuel is used for heating.
JohnB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what make it is, but I heard today of someone who was really proud of their new wind turbine, and had a big party to celebrate it going up. A few weeks later, in a not particularly high wind, it fell down. Apparently some of the bolts holding it up sheared, and I think the suppliers have stopped supplying them until they can fix the problem. Afraid I don't know any more details.

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
monster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know that Ecotricity are planning to release their own vertical axis domestic wind turbine called the 'urbine' - but few other details Smile
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monster wrote:
I do know that Ecotricity are planning to release their own vertical axis domestic wind turbine called the 'urbine' - but few other details Smile

Up North is it of course known as t'Urbine Smile (sorry couldn't resist!)
SunnyJim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snow, have you got any further with this? I'm wondering if an 'array' of smaller turbines wouldn't be better? I'm thinking of say 3x500W turbines? I should imagine they would be easier to anchor, less damaging should a blade fracture, and more resillient (3x redundancy). Not sure how the costs stack up though....

I'm tempted by one of these simply to avoid planning issues... (temporary structure innit)...

http://www.navitron.org.uk/product_detail.php?proID=193&catID=69

Andy H has just bought one, and all you need is that and a battery apparently. It has a regulator and a built in windspeed brake etc. Sounds pretty good.

For every complex problem, there is a simple answer, and it's wrong.

"Heaven and earth are ruthless, and treat the myriad creatures as straw dogs" (Lao Tzu V.i).
snow hope

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Jim - I saw that post by Andy H as well - very affordable - although only 300W. I really need 3KW - don't fancy having 10 of them...... How do you decide whether to go for 12v, 24v or 48v?

Will wait to hear Andy H report back his findings and if positive, I think I will make a purchase - need to stop talking about these WTs and get one - just to start the ball rolling.

You may want to consider this 1KW package, http://www.samrey.co.uk/#/mistralpackages/4530285813

or this 2.5KW package, http://www.samrey.co.uk/#/merlinpackages/4530285836
goslow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is any small turbine good value, unless you live in a really windy spot???
Aurora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
monster wrote:

Up North is it of course known as t'Urbine Smile (sorry couldn't resist!)

Laughing Bluddy raht!
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

International Small Wind Conference 2009:
http://www.bre.co.uk/eventdetails.jsp?id=2319
(details also posted under 'Events')

Depending on the Exhibitor List, it may be a chance to compare/contrast various suppliers in 1 day ?
Maybe worth a visit ?
Not too handy for Belfast though.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wind Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: