PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would it be good to have an "Ignore" button?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we introduce an "Ignore" button?
Yes
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
Don't know/no strong opinion
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

Adam1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Would it be good to have an "Ignore" button? Reply with quote

I think this might be useful, given the number of disruptive spam postings we get. There are various "mods" available on the phpBB website designed to add Ignore buttons. I'm not sure how many hours they would take to incorporate into the site's coding, but do people think it's a good idea in principle?

Is is something that we think would be a useful tool? I assume that the function would allow all of us non-moderator/administrator users to hide a specific post or a whole thread. It would not affect other users' views of those posts/threads, only ours.
Adam1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should also have an "ignore user" option.
Mean Mr Mustard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we have a + / - vote like recently introduced on the Oildrum?

The Future's so Bright, I gotta wear Night Vision Goggles...
JohnB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phpBB 3 has a "Friends & Foes" option in the user control panel. The Foes option is described as:

"Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators."

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
contadino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't use it. Each to their own, however.
Catweazle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an uncertain area I think it's dangerous to completely ignore one view.
Adam1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
In an uncertain area I think it's dangerous to completely ignore one view.

Yes, that is a risk. You might miss something new that could take your thinking in a new direction. But "Ignore" buttons can be used to block out something that is not relevant to you, or which is obviously spam.

Maybe we should carry on the discussion here and perhaps have another vote afterwards. If there's a strong feeling for or against, we could act on it.
Keela

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore..... ?

This could be useful. EXCEPT the intrusive posts are still there! They will still be seen by many others. Like new folk who come to this forum to read (and perhaps participate in....) rational discussion of a topic that they have chosen to discuss.

Sadly we have a situation where one individual has made his points so frequently and so verbosely that I really don't think he has anything else new to say. So instead he just keeps returning to keep "correcting" us on every "error" he thinks he sees.

In a normal conversation in the real world (like an office, a pub or a even a school playground) an individual like this would not get more than a few words into their pet subject before some-one else would cut them off short. And the topic would quickly be moved on.

Sadly there is no such restriction on an intrusive internet forum poster who continues to push his repetitive view.

And because it is a forum - that others might read - regular posters don't want to let the individual get away with it. So they respond! So the office bore gets the attention he craves.

I have no objection to alternative views being expressed. Eventually however it is wise for both sides to finally agree to differ rather than continually harass each other. But if one side won't let go??

So -
I wonder could repetitive posters (who dominate a number of threads with their views) have a temporary cap put on their rate of posting?

A limit of one per day for a probationary period would mean that the individual could still have their say, with out dominating the forum with their circular arguments.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone can only have a circular argument with someone else. If you make a return point and then ignore that person he can only argue with himself. Just don't waste your time by taking the bait.

Like I said in another thread, "Who is er... whatshisname?"

From now on, I'm not going to waste my time by contributing to a thread about a waste of time, er... whatshisname.
Adam1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sally wrote:
I wonder could repetitive posters (who dominate a number of threads with their views) have a temporary cap put on their rate of posting?

A limit of one per day for a probationary period would mean that the individual could still have their say, with out dominating the forum with their circular arguments.

That's a good idea Sally. For the RGR-type problem, this is what we need: a forum equivalent of "the naughty corner".

jmb - is that something that can be done easily? Can it be enforced by IP address?

The thing that prompted me to do the poll was partly RGR but mostly the large number of spam posts, we had had just before I posted the poll. (Although RGR is a sort of spam I guess.)
Vortex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a forum equivalent of "the naughty corner".

Involving a red hot poker and a deer horn ...
JohnB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex wrote:
Involving a red hot poker and a deer horn ...

I was disappointed that you didn't include a picture Wink

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
Andy Hunt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with an 'ignore' button, if the posted is quoted in someone else's post, you will still get to see the 'ignored' persons contributions.

I suspect that an 'ignore' button won't have the desired effect. In the case of what happened on the INEBG forum, the offending forum member left of his own accord in the end (albeit after causing loads of trouble).

I'm even beginning to think that I may have been a bit harsh in my own assessment of our own current 'problem' - although I may change my mind again!!

Maybe it's possible to have post-PO.com traumatic stress disorder . . .

I wouldn't want to worry you with the truth. Rolling Eyes
Adam1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Hunt wrote:
Maybe it's possible to have post-PO.com traumatic stress disorder . . .

This is true. Particularly considering how frustrated us PS regulars (addicts?) got when the site kept going up and down all the time. It must be harder if an individual is excluded from the site while the others continue posting away.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with an 'ignore' button is the ignoree may not see the one rare jewel in the ignorant's rant. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

You don't need an ignore button. Do it yourself!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Suggestion Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: